Saturday, September 27, 2008

Date Night

The Jolly German and I went out for date night last night. I thought I might run down the beginning so those of you that are married will know that we are just as 'normal' as one might expect from a fiery red head and stubborn German.

A group of friends from our small group (a.k.a. bible study group) and church were going to meet up at a local restaurant and then head over to the movies together. It was like a double date multiplied by at least 3. An e-mail with the invite went out earlier in the week with the details and it suggested to buy the tickets online ahead of time. We have burned on the online ticket buying before with credit card theft and so understandably, the Jolly German did not buy the ticks ahead of time.

The movie theater we went to is about a 40 minute drive from our house and so we left early, thinking we would get tickets before dinner and all would be fine. Well...it wasn't and of course, I was upset at Oliver for not getting them ahead of time even with a good reason for refraining from buying online.

Long story short, after pouting for 10 minutes, getting out of the car, eating dinner with friends and coming to the conclusion we would just go to another movie, two of our friends blessed us with their tickets. (Thanks Jack & Patsy!)

We went to see the movie Fireproof. There are plenty of reviews online that give both sides of whether it is good or bad if you want the full details and I am sure there is a little truth in both sides. It is a low-budget film, with unfamiliar actors (besides maybe Kirk Cameron) and I question some of the portrayals of 'stereotypes' throughout the film. However, the bottom line is that the message it gives is priceless...NEVER LEAVE YOUR PARTNER, ESPECIALLY IN THE MIDDLE OF A FIRE!

Oliver and I have been married 10 wonderful years, some of the less wonderful than others, but I love him more today than the day I married him and would NEVER leave him behind!

My prayer today is that if you are in the middle of a fire in your marriage, that you'll take time TOGETHER to see this movie. Listen to the message! Let God minister to your heart through this. And if you have been left, look to God to restore you. There are times that restoration is not an option and I fully understand that, but don't walk around with bitterness and unforgiveness! Hand that over to God and lay it at the foot of the cross. Amen.

3 comments:

The Tylers said...

Glad to know I am not the only one that pouts on a date night but I am glad to know that the movie has such a great message! See you Sunday.

Super Rog said...

You're married and you still get dates? Sure it's with your husband, but still...
I can't get a date off of a calandar.
I've been turned down by women I never even asked out.

HOWEVER, I'm thinking that may change soon.....who knows?

The Brace Family said...

hey there! love the date nights..we are headed on one sunday night..so excited and might see fireproof .yes i pout too on date nights...