Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Immigration Policy...or lack thereof

I am not going to ramble on and on about this and I really don't want to start up a debate, I just want to inform those that may not have personal relationships with immigrants the two-sided, red tape, unclear message we send to immigrants. I encourage you to think about it and put a face to the issue before making the staunch statement that illegals should be deported immediately.

I will also put the disclaimer on that my husband is 100% German and I personally went through the immigration process, filled out paperwork and continue to meet the requirements of the INS for his residency in the U.S. Keep the comments that I do not know what I am talking about to yourself.

Here are just a few examples of the craziness that occurs:
  • Illegal immigrants are processed through the public school systems in the U.S. and receive high school diplomas. I personally graduated with a boy back in 1991, so it isn't something recent.
  • Illegal immigrants are unable to get a valid driver's license, yet they can purchase both automobiles and car insurance in the U.S.
  • Illegal immigrants are provided government assistance through the naturalization process of children born in the U.S. (i.e. medicaid, food stamps, reduced or free lunches)
I would ask that you lift this situation up in your prayers this next week and that you specifically pray that the leaders of our local, state and national government will find a way to handle this situation. Ask God to provide them the knowledge to handle this in a manner that will glorify Him.

1 comment:

Michelle Heath said...

It's also crazy how/where legistature decides to draw "the line". NC just recently voted AGAINST allowing illegal immigrants the right to receive financial aid for an education @ state colleges