Wednesday, April 23, 2008

God's Glasses

There are so many times that I pray "God, allow those things to break your heart to break mine." It seems like such a simple prayer, but God delivers every time.

Over the last 7 months I have had the privilege of serving the people of North Charleston. North Charleston is 7th in the nation for crime per capita and based on some statistics show as much as 36% of the population is living in poverty. The church I attend, Seacoast, opened a new campus with an outreach focus based on the L.A. Dream Center on September 9, 2007.

This is the day God started to show me what poverty looks like through His eyes.

Through a few of our ministries I have had the opportunity to meet many of His children that are overlooked in the world today. I have met people that live in trailers that have should long ago been condemned, people that have had electricity cut off for days, people that live on and off the streets depending on who might 'let' them sleep in their home that night, people that have no homes.

These are the people that Christ ministered to and He has given me the opportunity to serve them with a humble heart. I remain amazed by the faith that some of the people walk with each day, relying on the strength of our Lord to get them through and believing that He will.

Today, I pray that those that read this will pray that simple prayer, God, allow those things that break your heart to break mine.

No comments: