Saturday, April 12, 2008

Jesus Goes Mainstream

After a long day of hard work and serving a sweet sister in Christ, I am sitting in amazement as to how God works. Not just in general, but how He makes himself known in such a world that is focused on things so far away from Him. I learned today that American Idol had a segment on their 'Gives Back' edition that they sang Shout to the Lord. I watch several different versions in YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHuWxfcIqW4&watch_response).

To give you an idea of how many people this impacted, last week American Idol had an average of 24.8 million viewers based on Nielsen Media Research. In case you're interested, here are the lyrics:

My Jesus, my Savior, Lord, there is none like You;
All of my days I want to praise the wonders of Your mighty love.
My comfort, my shelter, tower of refuge and strength;
Let every breath, all that I am, never cease to worship You.

Chorus
Shout to the Lord, all the earth, let us sing
Power and Majesty, praise to the King;
Mountains bow down and the seas will roar
At the sound of Your name.
I sing for joy at the work of your hands,
Forever I'll love You, forever I'll stand
Nothing compares to the promise I have in You.

Then, this evening, I got a call from a friend telling me that there was a show on about 'The Lord's Boot Camp' on CBS. The camp is part of Teen Missions International (http://www.teenmissions.org/). The special showed the struggle of 3 teenage girls in their acceptance of the gift of Jesus and walk with Christ. I don't know how many people watched this special, but it is obvious to me that God can and will use ALL things for His glory!!!

No comments: